About the Orange County Domestic Violence Commission
The Orange County Domestic Violence Commission (DVC) was originally convened in 2005 by Honorable Belvin Perry, Jr., Chief Judge, and the late Honorable Lydia Gardner, Clerk of the Courts of Orange County. With the support of Perry and Gardner, Former Mayor Teresa Jacobs reconvened the Commission in February 2013. In 2019, Mayor Demings reconvened the DVC Commission in response to higher rates of cases and incidents of domestic violence in Orange County.
The DVC is co-chaired by the Honorable Alice Blackwell, Circuit Judge with the Ninth Judicial Circuit, and Dick Batchelor, President of Dick Batchelor Management Group, Inc. The Co-Chairs, along with fellow Commission members, will serve in an advisory capacity to assess any gaps in services, identify significant issues, and recommend solutions that will ultimately help us reduce the incidents of domestic violence in our County.
The end goal of the DVC is to provide multi-sector recommendations that can assist in tackling domestic violence in our community.
All Committee meetings were held at the Orange County Administration Building located at 201 South Rosalind Avenue, Orlando. Meetings are currently held virtually and streamed live on Orange TV.
About the Members
Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demings reconvened the Orange County Domestic Violence Commission (DVC) in October of 2019. The DVC will be co-chaired by the Honorable Alice Blackwell, Ninth Judicial Circuit Judge and Mr. Dick Batchelor along with judges, state attorney and public defender from the Ninth Judicial Circuit. Law enforcement, service providers, community leaders, academia as well as survivors are represented on the Commission.
- Honorable Alice Blackwell, Administrative Circuit Judge, Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Dick Batchelor, President, Dick Batchelor Management Group, Inc.
- Honorable Alice Blackwell, Administrative Circuit Judge, Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida, Co-Chair
- Dick Batchelor, President, Dick Batchelor Management Group, Inc., Co-Chair
- Lisa Alexander, Survivor & Founder of Stand Up Survivor, Inc.
- Honorable Aramis Ayala, State Attorney, Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Jay Corzine, Ph.D., Department of Sociology, University of Central Florida
- Lui Damiani, Executive Director, Victim Service Center of Central Florida, Inc.
- Gerry Glynn, Chief Legal Officer, Embrace Families
- Jana Jasinski, Ph.D., Pegasus Professor of Sociology, Vice Provost for Faculty Excellence, University of Central Florida
- Honorable Alicia Latimore, Circuit Judge, Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Marie Martinez, CEO/Executive Director, the Howard Phillips Center for Children & Families - Orlando Health
- Diana Mejia, Founder & President, Nuevo Sendero, Inc.
- John Mina, Orange County Sheriff, Orange County Sheriff's Office
- Honorable Tiffany Moore Russell, Orange County Clerk of Courts
- Honorable Donald Myers, Chief Judge, Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Tekoa Pouerie, Director Center Advancement, Pace Center for Girls
- Louis Quinones, Chief of Corrections, Orange County Corrections Department
- Monica Rodríguez, Survivor
- Orlando Rolon, City of Orlando Chief of Police, Orlando Police Department
- Bob Smedley, Chair, Orange County Domestic Fatality Review Team
- Michelle Sperzel, Chief Executive Officer, Harbor House of Central Florida
- Sharron Washington, Regional Director, Florida Department of Children and Families
- Honorable Robert Wesley, Public Defender, Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- Heather Wilkie, Executive Director, Zebra Coalition