Skip to main content
Accessibility Help
Browse Services

Zoning Division

About Zoning

Orange County’s Zoning Division is responsible for the interpretation and implementation of zoning regulations that have been adopted in accordance with the County’s Comprehensive Plan, (which designates the existing and future land uses). Considerations of zoning regulations include prevailing land uses, growth characteristics, and the character of the respective districts and suitability for particular uses.

Additionally, the Zoning Division supports the Board of Zoning Adjustment by processing variances to the zoning code as well as special exceptions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Zoning?

Zoning is a designation assigned to your property that regulates how that property is allowed to be developed and used. Zoning districts specify the areas in which residential, commercial, industrial, recreational or commercial activities may take place.

Where can I find the zoning information for a property?

  1. On the Planning and Development page, visit the Interactive Mapping webpage and open the InfoMap Interactive Mapping link at the top of the page.
  2. Zoom into any property on the map or you may search for a property.
  3. To search, use the hyperlink Search on the top menu bar. Then you can search the parcel by address (referred to as “situs”), owner, parcel ID, etc.
  4. After searching on a property/parcel, a window appears on the top left of the map with parcel information. Click on the three horizontal dots located at the top right of this window.
  5. In the drop-down menu, use hyperlink and select Zoom to Feature.
  6. You will see your property identified on the map. Now, at the bottom left of the screen, use the hyperlink Layers tab, which will bring up a list of options on the left.
  7. In the list of options, use hyperlink Land Development and open that list up by clicking on the + button.
  8. Under Land Development, use hyperlink Zoning.
  9. Under that list, scroll down and use hyperlink Zoning and it will show the zoning information. (Orlando Zoning is City of Orlando; Zoning is Unincorporated Orange County)

How do I rezone my property?

Rezoning requests are processed through the County’s Planning Division and are reviewed for consistency and compatibility with the surrounding area as it relates to the County’s Comprehensive Plan. Contact the Planning Division at 407-836-5600 if you wish to discuss a potential rezoning of your property.

These applications are processed once per month and require a public hearing with the County’s Planning and Zoning Commission (PZC) and acceptance of the PZC recommendation by the Orange County Board of County Commissioners. Planned Development rezoning requests are processed through the County’s Development Review Committee (DRC) and require public hearings with both the PZC and the Board of County Commissioners.

How can I find allowable uses, setbacks, height and parking requirements?

Visit Orange County Code Chapter 38 Zoning.

Find information about setbacks and height under Sec. 38-1501.

Find parking information under Sec. 38-1476.

Find allowable uses under Sec. 38-77 (Land Use Table).

For any other zoning-related questions, contact 3-1-1 or visit

How do I request a variance or special exception?

Visit our website and download the application at the Board of Zoning Adjustment webpage.

How do I obtain a Business Tax Receipt (BTR)?

Business Tax Receipts are issued by the Orange County Tax Collector. However, the process for obtaining a BTR begins with a review by the Orange County Zoning Division to ensure the proposed use is allowed in a particular location. To get started, submit a completed BTR application to the Zoning Division, located at 201 S. Rosalind Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801, 1st floor. Once the review is complete and the fee is paid, go to the Orange County Tax Collector Office for approval, which is located in the Sun Trust Building at 200 S. Orange Avenue, Suite 1600, Orlando, FL 32801.

If you are requesting a Mobile BTR, you will also need to bring a completed Residential Affidavit or a state-issued ID to the Zoning Division. Questions regarding operating a business out of your home are addressed in Sec. 38-79 (101), which outlines the conditions and prohibitions for home occupations.

A Use Permit may also be required. This permit is to confirm that the building you want to occupy is consistent with the building code requirements for that use. If you are changing the use of the space or the ownership of the business, a new Use Permit is required.

Do I need a permit for a garage sale?

Yes. You are limited to one garage sale every six (6) months. For more information, visit the garage sale permit webpage.

Do I need a permit for boat or RV storage?

Yes. Visit the boat and RV permit webpage for more information.

Do I need a permit for a tent?

Yes. Visit the tent permits webpage.

What do I need to obtain a permit?

It varies by permit type, but you typically need an owner’s signature or owner’s authorization, a to-scale survey and/or site plan of the property, and if you are building a structure, engineered drawings are required.


Do I need a permit for a new fence and/or fence repair?

Yes, a fence permit is required for the installation of a new fence and for fence repair/restoration. A survey is required showing the location of the proposed fence. Visit the residential fence permit webpage for more information.

How tall can my fence be and where can it be located?

Typically, residential fences are limited to a maximum height of 8 ft. in the side and rear yards, and a maximum height of 4 ft. in the required front yard. However, a fence is limited to a maximum 4 ft. in height within the lake setback area (50 ft. from the Normal High-Water Elevation (NHWE) line), and this must be shown on the survey submitted with the permit application. A fence must be located on or within the property lines of any parcel of land. There are additional restrictions depending on the specific parcel and location.

Reference (Ch. 38, Section 1408) or visit the residential fence permit webpage.

Which way can my fence face?

Zoning does not regulate which side the fence faces. However, a fence must be uniform in construction, design, material, color and pattern.

Who owns the fence?

To determine the fence ownership, research your property at Orange County Fast Track to determine who installed the fence. However, this is a private matter between the property owners.


Do I need a permit for a temporary sign?

Yes. A permit is required for temporary signs (e.g. special events, banners, real estate, construction and home subdivision signs). A site plan and sketch/photograph of the sign with dimensions is required to issue the permit. A special event sign may be erected for a maximum of 30 days and no more than two (2) permits for such signs may be issued on any parcel within a calendar year.

For more information about a sign permit, visit the sign permit webpage.

What do I need to obtain a sign permit?

You will need two (2) sets of engineered drawings for the sign, two (2) fully dimensioned site plans, elevation drawings of the sign, and a notarized letter from the property owner.

How do I calculate frontage and copy area?

The maximum copy area for allowable wall signage is based on the length of the portion of the building where the primary entrance is located. The maximum copy area for pole/ground signs is dependent upon the length of the property line along the public right-of-way on which the property borders. Generally, a total of one and one-half (1½) square feet of copy area for building signage may be allowed for each one (1) linear foot of building frontage per establishment. For detailed information on signage, visit Chapter 31.5 of the County Code.


Do I need a permit to remove a tree?

To remove a tree (or multiple trees) or to conduct clearing activity on private property, a permit from Orange County is required (unless the property is a residence on less than 2 acres). For more information on tree removal application fees and requirements, visit the webpages for Developed or Undeveloped Property or for Timber Harvesting. You can also contact the Zoning Arbor Office at 407-836-5807.

Questions about trees located in County right-of-way are handled by the Development Engineering Division at Public Works. If the tree represents a life, health or safety issue (e.g. sight line/tree elevation, threat of falling, etc.), residents should report this by calling 3-1-1. They should also call 3-1-1 for other maintenance issues.

What do I do if a neighbor’s tree is a problem (might fall, etc.)?

If a neighbor’s tree is leaning over your property, or you believe it is in danger of falling, this is a private civil matter between the two private land owners. The County has no authorization to compel a property owner to remove such a tree.

Who can I call if my neighbor is clearing trees without authorization?

If you believe a neighbor or property owner is cutting down trees or clearing property without authorization, contact the Zoning Arbor Office at 407-836-5807.


May I store (equipment/vehicles/merchandise) on my property?

The storage of equipment/vehicles or merchandise on private property is dependent on how your property is zoned. Outdoor storage is not allowed on residentially zoned property, Professional Office (P-O) or Commercial-1 (C-1) zoned properties.

May I have animals on my property (horses, chickens, goats, etc.)?

This depends on the zoning of your property and the species of the animal. Visit the Municode Sec. 38-77 webpage, where you can see a variety of allowable animal groups that are permitted and any conditions associated with their use.

Contact Us

Zoning Division
Phone: 407-836-3111

All e-mail sent to this address becomes part of Orange County public record. Comments received by our e-mail subsystem can be read by anyone who requests that privilege. In compliance with "Government in the Sunshine" laws, Orange County Government must make available, at request, any and all information not deemed a threat to the security of law enforcement agencies and personnel.